If you’re a former smoker who has just switched to vaping – or you’re thinking about making the switch – there are a few good reasons why you might want to know how long vape smoke stays in the air. You’re well aware of the fact that cigarette smoke can hover in the air for a very long time before it dissipates. It annoys the non-smokers around you. It also stains your walls and makes your entire home smell like smoke. One of the reasons why you might want to know how long vape smoke stays in the air is because you want to know if it’ll have a similar effect on your home and on the people around you.
Another reason why you might want to know how long vapor stays in the air is because you want to know if it’s possible to vape discreetly in public without bothering the people around you. We’d never condone “stealth vaping” in places where vaping isn’t allowed, but there are plenty of places where public vaping is still legal – and you might be curious about how to vape without drawing the ire of others.
The short answer to your question is that vape smoke usually stays in the air for at least a few seconds before dissipating. Exactly how long it hangs in the air, though, depends partially on your vape juice and partially on the type of equipment you’re using. In this guide, we’ll explain everything. As you read, you’ll learn about the factors that affect how long vape smoke stays in the air. You’ll learn how to stealth vape if you find yourself in a situation where you want to vape discreetly. You’ll also find out about the most discreet vapes on the market today. Let’s jump in!
The VG/PG Ratio of Your Vape Juice Affects How Long the Vapor Stays in the Air
The biggest factor that effects how long e-cigarette vapor stays in the air is the VG/PG ratio of your vape juice. Vegetable glycerin has more mass than propylene glycol, and it’s significantly more viscous. Therefore, a vape juice with a higher amount of VG will create clouds that hover in the air for much longer than what you’d experience with a high-PG blend.
Aside from your e-liquid’s VG/PG ratio, the next biggest factor determining how long the vapor hangs in the air is the power of your vaping device. If you use a large vape mod, your device will produce extremely large clouds – and bigger cloud production means that the clouds will hang in the air longer. With a small device like a disposable vape, on the other hand, it’s much easier to be discreet because the clouds are much smaller and dissipate more quickly as a result.
Not coincidentally, larger vapes are much more likely to work best with high-VG e-liquids. Smaller vapes, on the other hand, tend to use nicotine salt vape juice. Nic salt e-liquid is usually lower in VG. The fact that smaller devices typically use low-VG e-liquids helps to ensure that the vapor clouds disappear more quickly.
How to Stealth Vape
Before we discuss how to stealth vape, we think it’s important to stress that you should never attempt to vape in places where vaping isn’t allowed, such as in public buildings, on public transit and on airplanes. The only reason why you should ever want to stealth vape is because you’re in a place where vaping is allowed – like a public park, perhaps – but you want to vape without bothering the people around you. These days, everyone knows what vaping is and what it looks like when someone uses a vape. If you try to vape in a place where you’re not allowed to do so, you will get caught – and you will be in trouble.
With that out of the way, let’s suppose that you want to vape without drawing undue attention to yourself. The first thing you’ll need is a discreet vape that can fit in your closed hand. The two most common options here are disposable vapes and pod vapes, although we’ll discuss some specific products in a moment. Close your entire hand around the device, leaving only the mouthpiece exposed.
To stealth vape, you simply need to do the following.
- Take shorter puffs than you would normally take. If you take longer puffs, your device will produce bigger clouds. It’ll be harder for you to remain discreet in that case.
- Hold the vapor in your lungs for several seconds before exhaling it. As you hold the vapor in your lungs, it condenses and dissipates.
If you do those two things, you shouldn’t exhale a visible cloud. Just remember – you should never stealth vape in an attempt to subvert public smoking and vaping laws. If you’re going to be a in a situation where you won’t be able to vape for a while – at an airport with no smoking lounge, for instance – bring an alternative form of nicotine to ensure that your cravings won’t get out of control.
What Are the Most Discreet Disposable Vapes?
If you want to vape in complete discretion, you definitely want to use a disposable vape. These devices typically produce smaller clouds than their refillable counterparts, and they’re almost always small enough that you can wrap your entire hand around them. Since they’re filled with potent nicotine salt e-liquid, though, you don’t have to worry about your satisfaction – these devices definitely pack a potent punch. These are the most discreet disposable vapes.
- EB Design BC3500: Made by the producer of the famous Elf Bar brand, the EB Design BC3500 is one of the company’s smallest high-capacity disposable vapes. It has a 650-mAh rechargeable battery, and it’s available in 19 amazing flavors. If you love an e-liquid that’s bold and juicy, try the Strawberry Kiwi flavor first.
- Evo Bar ET3000: Lasting up to 3,000 puffs, the Evo Bar ET3000 is an incredibly compact disposable vape that’s also dark in color and isn’t likely to attract unwanted attention. It uses a mesh coil for enhanced vapor production, so take short puffs when stealth vaping to counteract that. Try the Blue Razz Ice flavor, which delivers the authentic experience of drinking a frosty slush.
- SMOK IPX Bar: If you’re looking for a discreet disposable vape and prefer to use a device with more of a narrow shape, you’ll love the SMOK IPX Bar. Equipped with 8.3 ml of vape juice and a 1,350-mAh battery, this device lasts up to 4,000 puffs. Try the Mango Ice flavor, which tastes like an instant trip to a private tropical island.
What Are the Most Discreet Pod Vapes?
If you prefer to choose your own e-liquid flavors and aren’t a fan of disposables, you’ll probably be happier with a pod system. Many pod systems are just as small as disposable vapes, ensuring that you can vape in complete privacy. These are the most discreet pod vapes.
- Vaporesso XROS 3 Mini: The devices in the Vaporesso XROS series have always been some of the most popular small pod systems on the market, and the XROS 3 Mini is the smallest one yet. Measuring just 99.2 mm long by 23.6 mm wide, this device is as small as a pod system gets. The XROS 3 Mini has a mesh coil, so take short puffs if you’re stealth vaping.
- Voopoo Argus G: The Voopoo Argus G might be small, but it packs a serious punch because it uses a manual fire button and operates at up to 25 watts. The unibody aluminum shell feels great in your hand, which is particularly important if you’re stealth vaping and closing your entire hand around the device.
- SMOK Novo 2S: The SMOK Novo 2S is designed to have a super-thin body, making the device extremely easy to hold when you’re stealth vaping. If you’re closing your hand around the device, you’ll be glad that the only light on the Novo 2S is a very small LED positioned near the center of the device’s body. When you’re holding the device in your hand, it isn’t possible to see the LED at all.
Does Vape Smoke Stain Walls?
Vaping does leave residue on walls and other surfaces, but you’ll be glad to know that it doesn’t stain walls and ceilings permanently in the way that smoking does. If you see any staining on your walls from vaping, the reason is because e-liquid residue is slightly sticky and tends to attract dust. You can wipe the residue away with a soft cloth and a mild detergent. If you do this every few months, you shouldn’t notice any staining on your walls at all.
Does Vape Smoke Leave a Smell in Your Home?
No – vaping doesn’t leave a lingering smell in your home the way that smoking does. While you’re actively using your device, people in the same room will be able to smell the vapor. It won’t smell bad like cigarette smoke – it’ll just smell like whatever vape juice flavor you happen to be using at the moment. As soon as you stop vaping, the smell will dissipate quickly.